Tuesday

For the love of Game of Thrones


Oberyn Martell from The Game of Thrones. Pic credit: @JonSnowBastrd via twitter
This blog has nothing to do with eating, exploring or shopping. Its written just for the love of Game of Thrones and the power the series has over my mind and I suppose over a million fans worldwide. I just have to write this post because honestly, the latest episode - The Mountain and the Viper broke my heart.
I know, I know the first rule of watching Game of Thrones is to not get emotionally attached to any character, especially the good ones (or seemingly good ones), because no matter how 'right' or 'just' they seem, no matter what cause they lived and fought for.. they will end up dead just like the honourable Ned Stark – a trademark hero, Ros – the lovable whore who became a target for Jeoffery’s arrow shooting and the victims of the Red Wedding – Robb, Catelyn and Talisa. So, in that sense, I shouldn’t feel bad about Oberyn dying. But I do. It was a horrible horrible death for a character who was introduced to us just eight episodes back. The charismatic and charming man who loved everything fine and beautiful didn’t deserve to die with his teeth knocked off, eyes popped in and head blown off by the mighty Mountain.

Pic Credit: @JonSnowBastrd via twitter
How I wish I could change the end of the last episode. How I wish I could be there at the combat arena and tell Oberyn to do away with his showmanship, to just f****** stand away from the Mountain and that it’s okay to have won against all odds, to have overpowered the giant and not worry about the confession.
But then, Oberyn being Oberyn, his sole purpose in life was to hear Tywin Lannister named as the man behind his sister’s death. So he did get his apology – but in a very ‘Game of Thrones’ way – “Elia Martell,” said Gregor Clegane, aka the Mountain, “I killed her children. Then I raped her. And then I smashed her head in. Like this …”.

Oberyn crushed like a beetle in the end.
Oh how it broke my heart.

Who do you think is next? Will the next episode mark the end of Tyrion Lannister? Share your thoughts and views....and if you like this post then please do let me know.. I'll write more on Game of Thrones and its characters.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment